Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday Fodder

John the Baptist states, "He (Jesus) must increase, but I must decrease"
(John 3:30 NRSV).

John sounds extremely humble. I can't count how many times in my life I've prayed the same. "Lord take me out of the way...God remove me...Not my will, but yours"

I deeply want to be a person of humility. I want to have the same attitude of Christ (consider Phil. 2). But deep down in my flesh, I enjoy recognition. There are times that I like being seen. I can almost rationalize being known by others.

The Apostle Paul said, "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ"
(1 Cor. 11:1 NRSV). It's as if he's asking for the limelight with humility.
Herein lies the "rub".

Believing that we were created to glorify God in every aspect of life, what's the balance between humility and recognition?

4 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

I think we just take all as a gift from God. This is our Father's world, and we are his children.

That means I can learn to delight in the gifts God has given me, but also learn to delight equally in the gifts God has given others. And that we each are a gift from God by the new creation in Jesus, and also by creation.

Of course we haven't arrived in not having wrong attitudes in this life.

Crowm said...

Agreed Ted...

I think of the petition of James and John in Mark (or their mother in Matthew)to sit at the right hand of Jesus. It's also interesting to see the reaction of the other apostles. You're familiar with the passage.

I appreciate how you mention, "learning to delight equally in the gifts...of others". Doesn't that call for a mindshift in our human nature? In other words, it's seeing people as Christ sees them, rather than through human eyes and my prejudices.

Thanks for your faithfulness to read AND TO COMMENT. I'm blessed by the dialogue. I've heard somewhere about enjoying a Barnabas.

Kim said...

Hi Mike,

I came to you through your comments on Ted's blog. The older I get (I'm 51) the more at peace I am with lack of recognition.

My take on Paul is that 1 Cor 11:1 should have been 1 Cor 10:33, the culmination of 1 Cor 10. In other words "my example is this: don't crave evil, pursue edifying things, don't seek your own good, but do all to the glory of God. don't profit yourself, profit the many. I'm pursuing Christlikeness. Follow me." I don't see this as seeking recognition, but encouraging the pursuit of Christ.

I like that!

Peace, Kim

Crowm said...

Hey Kim!

Thanks for the response.

I agree with your ending chapter 10after 11:1. I also hear in your words what I mention about a mindshift. Having the mind of Christ is what it's all about!

Blessings!