Monday, July 27, 2009

Simple is Better!

I've become convinced that many in the Church have made the Gospel much more difficult than it actually is. In other words, churches elevate traditions to something equal with Scripture. Oh, they would never admit to doing it. But ask someone in the Church what it means to be saved and check me on this. More than likely, their response will be something other than "Love God and Love others." If they respond with that phrase, they might be on to something. After all, when questioned by the legalists of the day, Jesus' response was as simple as "Love God and love others." The Gospel of John points out that Jesus was going to show his followers "the full extent of his love", just prior to serving them by washing their feet.

Recently, I had a conversation with someone who was struggling with their faith. Their objection to God wasn't to be found. However, this person had "issues" with the Church - specifically people who claim to belong to the Church. Let me share with you a few things this person said to me. "Church is all about rules. I can't smoke. I can't drink. I can't dance. I can't have fun. I can't...I can't...I can't...It's like the Church is the moral police."

The more I've thought about her words and although they're perhaps a bit over-generalized, I think her words carry some weight. Why is it that we tell those searching for God to conform to our ways (and not His)? Why is it that we think we have it all figured out and no one else does? Why is it that the Church is always right (or at least we think we are)? Why is it that we turn souls away from God by acting the way we do from time to time?

The message Jesus brought was pretty simple really. Notice I didn't say living up to the messsage was simple. I said the message itself is easy to understand. When those in the Church make the Gospel more about morality, rules, and regulations, we miss the message altogether. The irony is we condemn the Pharisees for their attitudes and then we're quick to establish some rules. Maybe it's time for a return to simplicity.

What do you think?

6 comments:

nAncY said...

simply, well put.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Crowm,

I agree. I think your point is well taken when you say that we sometimes err in thinking WE can be a guide to those in the dark. When in reality only Jesus is our Guide.

And we love God by learing to follow Jesus, by trusting in him. Then we can learn to love God, and only then. Simple yet profound.

Crowm said...

Thanks Nancy. It's good to "see you" again.

Crowm said...

Ted,

Thanks for stopping by. I don't know about profound - but surely simple.

Blessings Friend,

m

Anonymous said...

YEA!! It is simple, It is simple in application as well. We have the Holy Spirit to guide when we read scripture but it says what it says, it really is simple.

Christ is not simple but he provided for us because he knows we need to understand. He guided the writers because he knew we need it to be simple. So we complicated things.

So says Mike.

Crowm said...

Mikey!

Good to see ya! The KISS method would work good for the Church eh?

Love ya man!