Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday Fodder

This is a BIG weekend. Family will be in. A birthday party for Christian is followed by a full day of graduation (and parties) tomorrow.

Ashley is graduating from Hutto High School. As I was at 18, she's not sure about what the future holds. But she's excited to get across the stage with the diploma in hand. I'm excited for her as well. I'm not so excited about the ceremony (300+ graduates).

Graduation is a milestone. It's an accomplishment while at the same time being a new beginning. Thinking about my own graduation (that was not so long ago, thank you), I've realized real life (and real learning) takes place after the ceremony. Because I have such an analytical mind, I'll be led to think, "What will he be? What will she do with her life?" etc. Did they just go to school because they had to?

And then I think about spiritual things. Progress through the spiritual life leads one on an incline. There are times when we seem to plateau. But staying satisfied with a level plane leads to stagnation. In other words, a spiritual graduation (ie. baptism, discipleship, etc.) is part of the incline.

What about your graduation/incline? Is it time to remember the importance of the spiritual diploma?

No comments: