Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Meeting God on a Mountain

Wow! It's been awhile. I helped lead a spiritual retreat for several ladies for the past week. What a great time we had. God is good.

It's good to get away every so often among believers and not be distracted by the world (even the blogosphere). Even though I missed reading some blogs I normally read and learn from, God used these days to refocus my attention on Him. I pray that He did so for the ladies as well. One of my encouragements as we were winding down was, "Continue to allow God to use these few days throughout the rest of your life."

Mountaintop experiences are huge blessings. But God expects us to eventually leave the mountaintop and live among those on the plains and even in the valleys. There are many things in life that crave our attention - some of them good, many of them bad. And diversions are something Satan continues to throw in our path. Our task is to recognize them quickly and overcome them through the power of Christ.

God moved in great ways on the mountain. But I also know He walks with me through the valley (Ps 23) and even on the dusty plains of southeast New Mexico.

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

D said...

I recall my mountaintop experince that led me to Manhattan Christian College. I decided to visit a friend that was attending MCC to get away from it all. As I drove up I was in awe of the Flint Hills and their mountianesce qualities. For me these mini mountains were part of a mountain top experience. Just being able to unwind enjoy life, listen to wise friends and worship God and be blessed by a cleansing rain. It was during those three days that I knew I was being led to MCC and even though the mountain top experience wouldn't last the 5 years I've lived here, I'm still reminded of it from time to time.

I dearly love being nestled in the valley of the flint hills, though it plays havoc on the weather patterns, it's a good place to be. And as I live my day today life here in the valley of the Flint Hills there is always a distant reminder that though today may be low, just in the distance there stands a promise of yet another day on the mountain top.