Friday, March 6, 2009

Theology Snack #5

Words are intriguing. The words we choose to use in conversation or in our writings should be chosen wisely. Some words are used "loosely." For example, how many times have you heard the word "awesome" in the past year? the last week?

Another word that seems to be used frequently is the word "miracle." One might say, "I was driving on fumes for weeks. It was a miracle that I made it that far." Or maybe, "I needed sugar and caffeine bad. I went to the store and grabbed the only soft drink left. It was a miracle!" Oh really? A miracle?

In the New Testament, certain events are called powerful deeds, wonders, and signs. They were manifestations of God through Jesus the Christ. Miracles pointed to the divinity of Jesus.

Throughout the last few centuries, the term "miracle" has been hotly debated. Liberal theologians believed that there was no need to believe in miracles but to simply have faith in the history of the Church. The liberal theologian also believed equating things in Scripture with a miracle was irresponsible if not done with other ancient documents. Of course, the Orthodox had major issues with this thought.

During the last century, the conversation has moved to not whether miracles take place, but the definition of such supernatural events. In other words, does God really intervene for your favorite baseball team to win in the bottom of the ninth, allow you to drive further on fumes because of your failure to plan, or enable your addiction to sugar and caffiene by providing the last soft drink? Probably not. On the other hand, we all know God still intervenes today. Visit with a surgeon some time.

What are your thoughts about miracles? Any stories to share?

5 comments:

Cheryl Russell said...

Hello Mike! I have enjoyed catching up with your blog! Lots of great and thought-provoking posts.

I do believe in miracles. I believe that God is always up to something. When we follow Him, He provides in ways we can't imagine. I believe He still heals. I believe He still intervenes. I believe He still listens and provides. He still moves and dwells among us and that itself is a miracle. We get to seek Him and find out where He wants us to plug in.

Now, does God care if I get a Dr. Pepper? I don't know, I like to think that He cares more about the lesson I learn when I don't get a Dr. Pepper. Do I pout and curse and lash out, or do I move on and not focus on such a small thing? I think it's kind of narcissistic to think that God cares more about me getting a parking space than any of the other 5,000 people at the arena. Hmmmmm.......

Hope you are doing well. We hear the weather is great in NM. It's been pretty nice up here as well, though not as warm. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

i agree, there are many terms we have come to use that have lost their real meaning for us. it is careless.

i also think that there are quite a lot of miracles that we do not bother to think about. we just take some things as a given. we take many things for granted that God does around us every day. like the earth turning and plants growing and sun shining and babies being born.

then there are the miracles that i believe happen that we never see.
we never see how we were saved from something, or how many times we have been healed and did not even know it. God does a lot of His work under the radar.

you are right in that it would be very interesting to talk to surgeons to hear about their experiences are.

Crowm said...

Cheryl Russell! So good to see you. Thanks for checking in. I hope the move went well.

No rain here yet. Definitely a hot summer ahead. Baseball season...yes!

I hear what you're saying. God doesn't care for DP either :)

Crowm said...

Nancy,

i too believe we take many things for granted. God's handiwork is all around us. I see that at times on your blog with creativity. Thanks for stopping by.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Oh yes. I think a lot of what God does could be explained away, and that's where faith comes in. But it is more than evident to those who seek to walk with God in this world, seeking to be friends of God.

Supernatural events I take as of a different nature, where God suspends natural laws of God's working, to do something different. As in the loaves and fishes. I believe in that for this life and for here and now, as well. Though I think it's rare, and not to be sought after. I'm not going to be walking on water anytime soon, because, for one thing, Jesus will not be on the water walking, himself, anytime soon (from what we know)!