Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Fodder

Anyone at the church I pastor will tell you I'm BIG about discipleship. One of the things I've been convinced of the last few years is the church dumbing down the message we have for the world. In other words, why do people who claim to be a follower of Christ look the same as they did as before? Why is there no change? How important is discipleship? What's the difference between discipleship and someone going over the edge into legalsim? Should these things even be a part of conversation? Check out this video and then let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Cheryl Russell said...

I love being a disciple of Christ. Tim and I don't think of ourselves as raising children, but as making disciples. It changes the way we think, it causes us to me more intentional about our walk with Christ. When people ask what religion I am or what church I go to, I usually tell them that I am a disciple of Christ. I'm still learning as I follow Christ, and try to get others to come and follow. I think it is an important conversation to have. Discipleship involves knowing that Christ alone is our hope, our example, and our salvation.

preacherman said...

I think and strongly believe that Christ calls us to change. We need to avoid legalism and live and abide in the grace of Almighty God. I think those who enslaved to legalism don't understand or know what the love and grace of God is really like. They are missing out! I think it is so sad!

Anonymous said...

Cheryl you are right on in your statement about raising disciples. If parents would take that stance - better yet if churches would talk and promote it that way our kids would stay and grow.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Amen, Mike. If this isn't true, then neither is the Bible.