Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Better Late Than Never...I guess!

Last week, I'd planned to post on William Young's The Shack near the end of the week. You've figured out by now, that didn't happen. I should have warned you. I have a very analytical mind. Sometimes that's beneficial. Other times, not so much. This time, it's taken me a few extra hours to get through this particular book.

To be honest, I really didn't want to read Young's work. My reading list is always full and this book wasn't on it. And then friends and family read the book inquiring of what I thought. I still wasn't interested. I heard someone else say, "This book will change your life." I'd heard that before. But the way it was said had me thinking, "What's the big deal?" I was then shown the cover and noticed Eugene Peterson's quote. "This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress did for his. It's that good!" I knew I had no choice but to read it and weigh in with my humble opinion. So here goes:

Mackenzie Phillips takes his children on a camping trip. His young girl is abducted and murdered. For good reason, Phillips grieves and experiences A Great Sadness. He steps over the line when he accuses God of being responsible for the tragedy.

Phillips receives a letter from God inviting him back to the scene of the crime. He returns to interact with God through something of a time/location warp. Through the three personalities of God and wisdom, Phillips begins to understand God and His love for mankind. He's then given the choice of whether to stay and continue to learn from God or return to his "other life" and continue the healing process with his family. He chooses to return knowing that decision will bring different challenges.

First, the good things:
1. This book really makes the reader think about theological concepts. Every reader that follows the plot will be challenged to think about his/her beliefs. God can use any media (including a fictional book) to call mankind to Himself.
2. I appreciate the way Young describes the interaction between God and the primary character. The outflowing of God (and His love) throughout Mack's time at the shack flowed easily throughout.
3. Young's "setting the scene" in the first few chapters was difficult to traverse. After the plotline begins to share the story, this became much easier. All in all, I found the work to be enjoyable.

Some issues:
1. Although I appreciated Young challenging the common view of God (an old man with a flowing beard), there were times I felt God's humanity was stressed more than God's divinity. I realize Jesus was fully human. But He was also fully God.
2. Young's view of God is about love, acceptance, and forgiveness. However, because of the importance of seeing God's love, justice and man's responsibility takes a back seat to Young's attributes of God.
3. When Mack is allowed to observe his earthly father and attempt to reconcile, it's almost as if Young moves a little bit New Age(y).

Again, I really appreciated the book as a whole. Would I give it as much praise as Peterson? Uh...no. Is it worth the read? I think so. Almost anything that raises questions about God and our relationship with God should be considered. Is there a genre for Young in the future? Let's wait and see his next project.

5 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Mike,
Thanks for your good review of the book. I still have my copy here, not far from where I am at the moment, and I still haven't finished it!

Yes, it has good and bad in it, I think. Overall I'd say it's probably positive given all today, but needs the positive critique you give it here. I wish he could have worked at it with someone like Scot McKnight or Ben Witherington. Then maybe it could have lived up to what one might expect from Eugene Peterson's words. Peterson is such a genius- or has such a view/perspective, he must see so much more than most do in it.

preacherman said...

I can't wait to read it.
I bought it for myself but my wife just got done reading it first. She thinks it would make a great movie.

Crowm said...

Ted,

Just curious...why haven't you finished it?

I would agree with the BW3/Mcknight comment. I'm not sure what Peterson saw. But again, I'm too analytical at times. I thought the book was middle of the road.

Blessings!
Mike

Crowm said...

Hey Kinney!

When you read it, let us know what you think. The review was tough in that I knew not everyone had read it. I attempted to give just enough without spoiling the fun.

I'm usually more about books than movies. However, your wife might be right.

Hope your health is good Bro!

Mike

Cheryl Russell said...

Hello Mike! Thanks for the review. I loved the book. I liked the emphasis on relationship. With God, and with others. I felt very convicted about my own relationship with God and the people around me. I don't persue those relationships wholeheartedly, and I should.

I also loved that God met Mack where Mack needed God to. I believe God meets us where we are, so this really touched me.

I also thought that Young challenged all believers to answer questions about institution and faith. When we invest in man-made institutions, do we move away from relationship with God? These are good questions for us to be asking, especially now.

Finally, I liked that Young tackled some tough issues about the character and morality of God. Where is God when we hurt? Young's answer, right there with us. I agree.

I also had a couple issues with the book. Still not sure if Young intended to take all of our responsibility out of the picture?

Overall, I really liked it!