Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday Fodder- The Problem of Evil

I picked up Evil and the Justice of God last weekend. Honestly, I was looking for N.T. Wright's The Challenge of Jesus. I've looked for a few months now to no avail. The bookstore had only one Wright book. I've learned in times past, when given the chance, don't pass it up. I'm a huge N.T. Wright fan and it seems that many others are as well.

Eventually, I'll post on the book. But here I wanted to introduce those of you who haven't read the work to the particular sections.
1. Evil Is Still A Four-Letter Word
2. What Can God Do About Evil?
3. Evil And The Crucified God
4. Imagine There's No Evil: God's Promise of a World Set Free
5. Deliver Us From Evil: Forgiving Myself, Forgiving Others

It's been my experience that when tragedy strikes, people ask the question of "Why?". Last week, our church experienced a twelve year-old boy from our community and his Father killed in a motorcycle accident. In 2001, thousands of innocent people were killed in a place known now as "Ground Zero". In 2005, Hurricane Katrina struck the gulf coast causing destruction, misplacment of individuals, and even death. I could go on an on. But you get the point.

People realize we live in a world that's not right. Even atheists and agnostics will acknowledge some sense of good and bad. The problem is, even when we acknowlege the turmoil, we don't quite understand it. The questions we all ask are valid. But we become frustrated when the answer is not readily available. Here's your chance to help.

1) What are your thoughts of evil in general?
2) What or Who is the origination of evil and does it make a difference as to who originates it?
3) Any thoughts on evil such as natural disasters (that affect many) compared to evil within the life of an individual? Do people seem to notice one over the other?
4) Anything else you want to share?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. going against the will of God
2. i do not know
3. no and i don't know
4. the Love of God through His son, Jesus Christ

Ted M. Gossard said...

Mike,
I read that book some time ago, but I need to reread it.

I have to think evil is just part of the necessary freedom God gives humans as moral agents. Whatever is against God's will is surely not good, and God's will is really only good, and the source of all good. God wants humans to respond to him in love, but with that possibility comes the possibility that they will not.

As for natural disasters, I would guess that part of their existence is that God wants humankind to long for something better, but at the same time to know that this present world and existence has inherent limitations which can't arrive to that (and in fact mean eventual death, as the sun and the entire cosmos eventually come to an end- according to science).

But that there's something better is surely inherent to us as humans made in God's image and created to live as humans in a world in which heaven and earth become one in Jesus, and we live together in fellowship with God and in the fellowship who is God: Father, Son and Spirit. And then evil will be done away with forever, all kinds, according to the end of Revelation.

Something like all of that.

Yes, N.T. Wright's three tomes (more to come) are the best of his books to read- though nothing from him is not worth reading. But I myself only own one of the tomes, and I don't think I even got through it. But I'm back to a qualified speed reading again, so want to get through them within the next year: "The New Testament and the People of God", "Jesus and the Victory of God" (the one I own), and "The Resurrection of the Son of God."

Happy reading.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Let me add to my comment, however, that this is no answer for those bereaved. We just don't have the answer. We just have to sit and listen to them and weep with them, and pray. That's all we can do. There are simply no answers for some things, and God didn't even give Job an answer about the loss of his children, his blessing, etc.

And I know you concur with all I've written and it's noting new to you. But just where I'm at on it.

Cheryl Russell said...

I am also a big N.T. Wright fan.

I think that selfishness is a huge part of evil. I like this Scripture from Romans 8:

"18I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. 19The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. 20For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.
22We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently."

Anonymous said...

Man I just started referring to Wright's People's Commentary series'... priceless little books. I did not expect them to be so useful but down to earth.

Crowm said...

Ted,

Good wisdom in your words.

Cheryl,

Paul does have a way with words doesn't he? All of creation groaning since the time of rebellion. Wow!

Crossgen,

I'm glad they've been useful. I hope to check them out soon.

Spherical said...

I don't understand why there is evil or why so much, but without it
would our minds really understand the love of God? Without it would we know what it means to depend on Him? Without it would we have a complete understanding of His holiness? Without it would we even exist?

Crowm said...

I'm with ya spherical. When we begin to understand things like the problem of evil, I think we become a little too smart for our own good.

You make a good point in that without the problem, we would never know the solution.

Thanks for stopping by!