Monday, November 24, 2008

Brother's Keeper

I deeply desire to be the man God wants me to be. From time to time, I hear someone accuse the Church or individuals within the church to be less than genuine. If I had a choice of what my legacy might be, I'd wish for people to say, "He was genuine, sincere, or real."

I pray often for accountability. I truly believe God places within our lives someone to walk with us hand-in-hand. Our spouse can be that person within certain areas in our lives. However, I need a man or men to know me more than just a casual acquantaince. Men understand how other men are "wired". Men can say things that women don't always understand. I'm sure it's the same for our sisters as well. Leonard Sweet mentions this type of friendship as few and far between. In fact, many times these relationships can be counted on one hand.

Recently, I was invited to a small group for men. I went for the first time this morning. Different churches are represented. Diversity is obvious. And the only motivation for those in the group is to help one another grow closer to Christ. It's what I think a picture of the Church looks like. I'm not sure my time with these guys will grow into the relationship Sweet describes. I pray that the group or within the group there's an answer to prayer.

In Genesis 4:9, Cain inquires of God, "Am I my brother's keeper?" Read in context, it seems to me that he is. Cain is. And I am as well.

What do you have to add/subtract in regards to accountability?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God will send you many people, maybe one special one for a time, who knows. i don't know.

however...


i have this word for you.

word for the day...

"rejoice"

pass it on
:-)

Anonymous said...

i don't know, but, you might find some ideas here. i see he has a blog list as well.

also the thought...
you could start a group...again, i don't know, it was just a thought not an expectation.

Anonymous said...

oops...
here is the link that i forgot to add

http://churchformenflorida.blogspot.com/


rejoice

Crowm said...

I'll check it out Nancy. Thanks!