Thursday, November 6, 2008

Talbott's Election (Continued)

I'd planned to post regarding Dr. Thomas Talbott's view of Romans 9-11 and his idea of Paul's theology today. Unfortunately, it's taken me more time to get my head around what Talbott is saying. I apologize for the delay. Hopefully, next week...

I really want to understand, prior to posting. Although I know that's not fully possible with some things (one's view of election might be a good example), I don't believe I can honestly do Dr. Talbott justice here. In other words, what good would a shallow post on election do if the "meaty" parts of Dr. Talbott's theology were left out?

We've all wanted to sit with some intellectual at some point and "pick their brain." I'd love to do that with all of these guys regarding election. But I'm not as familiar as I should be about Universal Election (Talbott's view). For that reason, I've chosen to err on the side of safety. I'll do my best next week.

For those of you sitting on pins and needles about the post :), I appreciate your understanding. And if anyone can fill me in on what they know about Universal Election, I would be grateful.

2 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

I don't know much, except that some outstanding Christians like Origen, have held to it. And some you read today, while not holding to it, have expressed that they wish it could be true. I would join such on that score. Though how God works that out, and the repentance involved, certainly not in Scripture. And seeing hell or punishment of the wicked as remedial, I would also question. So I would end up holding to a more traditional view, while not ruling out the possibility that God may have some big surprises in store, which he has not revealed.

You probably know all the above, but that's my small take at the moment.

Crowm said...

Learning everyday Ted. I too am sensing that mankind will be surprised in the end. In other words, although I hold to most traditional views, I'm not naiive to think mankind has it all figured out.

Blessings Bro!