Thursday, December 11, 2008

Holiday Cookies

One of my favorite cookies this time of year is gingerbread. There's nothing better than a glass of milk with a gingerbread cookie just out of the oven. To borrow a phrase from the old Lay's commercials, "You can't just eat one." In fact, I've indulged too many times in the sweet cookies and see the lasting results.

According to The Amazing Book of Useless Information, "The world's largest gingerbread man was baked on February 21, 2006 in Rochester, Minnesota, and weighed 466 pounds, 6 ounces."

On second thought, maybe I could eat just one. Any holiday desserts that you sense an over indulgence?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! that gingerbread man from rochester was one big cookie!

Crowm said...

Yep Nancy...big indeed! The link is below. I should have included it before. http://postbulletin.typepad.com/kiger/2006/12/gingerbread_hou.html

I understand that some dreamers in Smithville, Tx also attempted to make a 10 x 25 cookie just last year.

Ahhhhh! I can smell the ginger.

Anonymous said...

I've had a lot of time to think this year and one of the ideas that came to mind has to do with the tradition of sweets at Christmas.

I've not found to much about this but have come to think that sweets are important to help remind us of the sweetness of God's love and the sweetness, kindness, of our Lord Jesus. Even the aromas are reminders of Christmas, present and past.

What do you think? Parson

Mike

Crowm said...

Anon/Mike,

Ah...bringing the arts into worship. I think you might be onto something. Although I think there has to be a limit.

Did you see the link on Smithville? I thought you might be interested. Ahhhhh...memories of Smithville!