Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Picture of the Church

I have a confession to make. The secularization of the holidays makes me a bit of a Scrooge. I'm convinced that the reason we hear "The Little Drummer Boy" closer to July every year is based on $$$. Black Friday is evaluated to determine the national economy level. And the hungry get hungrier and the poor get poorer.

Needless to say, I wasn't all that thrilled when the wife mentioned her plan for an "Open House". We've (her more than I of course) spent the last few weeks decorating, shining and cleaning, and making great food. All this in an attempt to open our house so that church members could see how we live. I joked from time to time about what would be on display. Would those attending be able to open closets, look in the underwear drawer, and does anyone know the real reason for floating candles in a bathroom sink we use?

Sunday evening the big day arrived. The lights were turned on. Everything was polished. The food was just the right temperature. And several people came. I saw women who were gaga (is that a word?) over decorations, men enthralled by the food, and the kids were playing games. Some were dressed fancy. Others not so much. Everyone looked different, talked different, and enjoyed different things. The diversity was obvious. For a little over two hours, everyone seemed to enjoy the festivities and each other. After it was over, I couldn't help but think that this is what the church should look like.

I thanked Shae for a great night and her hospitality. Even though the work was long and tedious, it was well worth it. And finally, I repented for my attitude and saw the blessing of God providing a true picture of the church.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful!

Crowm said...

Thanks so much Nancy!

Susan said...

Must say it was awesome! Thanks for all the time and money spent...a great night for all!

Crowm said...

Susan,

Thanks for coming. We had a great time as well!

Cheryl Russell said...

Sounds great! I love gatherings such as these. Sounds like your wife has been given the gift of hospitality and used it to encourage the Body. Very cool. Hope you are doing well! Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

Crowm said...

To you as well Cheryl. It's good to see you again. I miss the good posts on your blog and what you add here. Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Mike, I'm sorry I missed the open house, but being in North Carolina, and not having been in New Mexico since 1971, I didn't see the news about it.

I lived in your house, for four years -- my 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade years -- from '67 to '71. My dad preached at the church in those years. I see from Google Earth that the lot looks pretty much like I remember it, although some of the surrounding terrain is different. I don't remember much about the inside of the house, except that the kitchen seemed kinda big, and there was a long room running from front to back at the garage end.

I'd love to visit. Like I said, I haven't been there since we left in '71. Blessings on your family, and your house. It was a good house for us.

Sam

Crowm said...

Sam,

A commute from NC might have been a bit much :) You're welcome anytime.

Shae and I are extremely blessed (We were both raised here). The church has changed, of course, over the years. The house has as well.

Blessings to you as well!