Thursday, July 24, 2008

Barnabas (Relationship # 5)

Everyone needs encouragement from time to time. When times get tough, when the challenges appear to be insurmountable, when everyone else has given up on you, that's when your Barnabas shines.

A Barnabas seems to show up at the right time, say the right things, and help in the right way. He or she is one of our biggest cheerleaders. Most people focus on our faults. But our Barnabas always sees our strengths, while knowing we're not perfect.

My recent move in ministry caused me to leave behind a dear lady - a Barnabas. She always had something encouraging to say. When times were challenging, she reminded me of those things being temporal. She took time out of her life to make a phone call, to write a note, to remember special anniversaries, to encourage. Although I've had many people in my life be a Barnabas, she takes the cake for encouragement.

It's interesting that her life wasn't trouble free. On the contrary, it was filled with challenges in losing loved ones, aches and pains, and other hurdles life sent. In spite of all the challenges, she was known for "Oh boy, oh boy, let's talk about joy!" Sure it was a little corny but the statement describes her life.

We all need a Barnabas in life. For me, that's Gladys Mott. Thanks Barnabas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know.. I didn't even need to complete the story to know you were writing of Gladys!! Everyone who is aquainted is blessed.

So says Mike

Crowm said...

I agree Anon...you've done your fair share of being a Barnabas as well.

Love ya Bro!

Crowm said...

BTW, Miguel

I hope everyone in South TX was okay after Dolly.

m