Thursday, July 24, 2008

Should I or Shouldn't I?

I struggled with whether to post this morning or not. Yesterday, the discussion was on the relationship of a protege or a Timothy. However, near the end of the chapter, Sweet speaks of creativity and left-brained activity more than an indispensible relationship. It's as if he's allowed his focus to become the emerging movement, rather than relationships. Here's the main reason I struggle.

I'm really enjoying the book. And several of you have said you'll read the book at a later time. That said, I think it's important that you understand this stuff is in there as well. I don't intend, nor am I qualified, to give an extensive book review (other than to say I've enjoyed it). I have nothing against the emerging movement. In fact, I appreciate many of their core beliefs. But to discuss the creativity of IKEA, the imagination of a Xbox 360, etc. is better left for another book. Let's get on with the indispensible relationships.

2 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

It's good, Mike, for voices like your own to speak in this way. Yours is clearly a voice of edification in this, and it would be good if Sweet could hear from you on it. And of course, we're not all going to see eye to eye on everything. Maybe this is what a younger generation connects with, along with the important matter concerning Timothys. I don't know.

Crowm said...

Thanks Ted. How does a amateur reader disagree with someone like Leonard Sweet (not so much in theory as much as where to place the material) and still fell like he has a voice? That's my dilemma.

The creativity discussion in Sweet's chapter was better suited for The Gospel According to Starbucks.

Again, that's my humble opinion and I am open for correction.