Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I Need Someone! Relationship #6

Sweet's invitation for a Peter/Paul (mentor/coach) is number six in his book and our review. It's interesting that the next message at our church (a series scheduled months ago) just happens to be about community. In other words, try as we may to live our lives in an individualistic way, it's impossible to live up to our capabilities without someone mentoring us, coaching us, or as Sweet maintains "is our Yoda."

To be honest, this is one relationship in which I've really struggled throughout life. Finding a mentor/coach for spiritual things is tough - really tough! Again, it takes time, a tremendous effort, and sacrificial giving from both persons.

Just a few years prior to his death, my spiritual mentor would have been my Father. Although we didn't get along while I was growing up (too much alike I guess), I came to realize he possessed some great spiritual characteristics. Since his death, my Yoda has been uh...shall I say non-existent.

Please don't get me wrong, I've looked up to friends, profs, and people of faith. But to have a mentor, a coach, a yoda that could help me be that person God would want me to be, it just hasn't happened. You see, I think of a mentor as being one who knows your "ins and outs", your strengths and weaknesses, and still loves you. Much like your "Barnabas," your Peter/Paul encourages but is also willing to look you in the face and say, "You're wrong man! This is what I've learned. etc." I believe those relationships to be few and far between for many. It's even tougher for someone in ministry. Most laypersons are for some reason intimidated by spiritual disscussion with a minister.

I'm looking for a Yoda. I really need a Peter or a Paul. I sincerely want to be the person Christ has destined for me. That won't happen without this important relationship.

How about you? Are you a spiritual mentor for someone? Are you being mentored? Honestly?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been fortunate to have had a couple. My first was George Launis, he is now very elderly. George was a terrific teacher, was not afraid to tell me when I was wrong, show me why and help me find the way to correction. He has studied for many years and has great understanding. More important is his ability to impart what he has learned in study and life.

Second is my cousin Vince. Although he is not perfect he will point out when I am wrong and more than not, he is correct. That is the important part and I think why I have him, he was provided to help me. He loves me so he is not afraid to tell me I'm wrong. He often calls and asks if I have read something or other, usually after some discussion or conversation we've had.

Both of these Christian men have great faith and seem to always point me in the right direction.
I have never really thought of them as encouragers but both are.

I started by stating that I was fortunate. I didn't seek either. I met George while doing landscape work for him. I grew up with Vince.

So says Mike

Crowm said...

Consider yourself truly blessed Anon/Mike. The times you meet people like you describe are not coincidence. Thanks for sharing.

So says the other mike

Kim said...

Hi Mike, I'm back! I can honestly say that in the last 5 years I have been mentored and I have mentored others.

My mentors have been a man named Ken Nair, and author and speaker who God used to save my marriage (and me) and a friend named Dave Taylor who has been an associate pastor and family and marriage counsellor for at least 26 years. I speak to them regularly, but not often.

But, using your definition "one who knows your "ins and outs", your strengths and weaknesses, and still loves you...encourages but is also willing to look you in the face and say, "You're wrong man! This is what I've learned. etc." I have one mentor that I'm with every day: my wife.

I think this is very appropriate given that God said to Himself, "It's not good for man to be alone, I'll make for him a help." I believe a lot of husbands overlook, disregard or ignore the help that God gave them.

On the flip side, I mentor other husbands encouraging the pursuit of Christlikeness in their lives and in their marriages and families. It's not an easy sell, I can tell you that.

Thanks for asking!

Kim

Crowm said...

Awesome Kim! I think you're right in that many of us overlook our gift(s) from God.

Thanks also for using your gift to be a Peter/Paul/or Yoda to others.

Blessings!
m

Ted M. Gossard said...

Mike,
Great thoughts and I agree. We don't live in a mentoring culture or society it seems, and it seems this rubs off too much on the church. It's too "live and let live." We have to become more intentional to make happen what you well describe here.

I do think I've received alot of good input and gave some through informal relationships with good people. Some men particularly, have lived and spoken well into my life. There's a couple of guys I regularly meet with to try to encourage them. I would really like a mentor myself. I do get some of that in a way, by blogging and listening to others. We can learn and get helpful input even from people who are younger, such as I have received from you on your blog and comments on mine.

Crowm said...

Very kind words Ted...and wise. Thanks