Friday, January 29, 2010

Gut Check

Friday is for confession. I know that doesn't rhyme or isn't cute. But it's true. In fact, every day (and many times a day) is a good time for confession. I have to share with you one of mine today. This will show you how lame I am.

Something really bothered me this morning. Although I never heard an audible request, I was prompted to serve someone. The problem was it was 2:37 AM. It was cold. I was happy in bed. And I was prompted to serve. Ugh!

I went about serving. But I did so muttering under my breath. Why couldn't...? What's wrong with them...? Why do I have to...? Sadly, I confess to being angry.

And then something or SOMEONE stopped me dead in my tracks. "Here you are wanting to serve. You always pray for opportunities to serve. And when you're given an opportunity you whine, complain, and over react!" Needless to say, I was convicted.

Upon returning to bed, I prayed that God wouldn't allow peace or sleep to come until I was really okay with what had happened. And I was wide awake for a little over an hour. Answered prayer. It was a time to reflect on my what I'd been called to do and how serious I was about my prayer to serve.

I have a long way to go! Praise God for grace.

1 comment:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Crowm,
Thanks for sharing that from your life. So true to life for all of us. We want to do God's will, but that will is often not convenient, and always beyond us in a sense in that we must always trust and obey. I want to learn more in how to really follow through and finish well after praying according to God's will at the beginning. But we can never take for granted or underestimate the need for a right beginning on this. So easy to waste years with something less than that.