Tuesday, January 26, 2010

There's No Genie In A Bottle!

This week, we continue our discussion on Prayer: Finding The Heart's True Home by Richard Foster. After discussing "simple prayer", Foster turns his attention to what he deems "The Prayer of the Forsaken."

The Psalmist writes, I say to God my Rock, "Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?" (Psalm 42:9 NIV) Elijah and Jeremiah cried out to God at various times in their lives. Jesus himself voiced, My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? (Matthew 27:46 NIV)

If you've had a relationship with God for very long, I think you understand what Foster argues in this chapter. There are times God seems to be distant. Even a response in the negative would be welcomed. And yet at times we pray and sense we're only talking to ourselves. There are times we read God's Word and it doesn't appear to be living and active (cf. Hebrews 4:12).

Foster does a great job of explaining the concept of relationship. One party cannot force the other into mutual love or sacrifice. According to Foster, God gives mankind a free will for this purpose. You and I have the ability to choose or not to choose a relationship with God (or with others).

At the same time, even though we know God never leaves us nor forsakes us, we sense those feelings of absence mentioned above. Again, according to Foster, God provides those times as opportunities to grow. God cannot be contained or made to show up on a whim. He is no genie in a bottle! His belly can't be rubbed expecting three wishes in return.

The prayer of the forsaken is something we all need to understand. It's one of those things that we must prepare for before we reach those times in our lives. It must be understood God's silence does not mean His absence. And it's during those "dark times" we can grow the most.

What thoughts might you have about The Prayer of the Forsaken?

5 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Crowm, I need to reread that book! Yes, we do need to proceed apart from feeling. Faith is not based on that but on God and on his promises to us in Jesus. I do think that we need to long for more than just righteousness in God's eyes, and beyond yet including that, desire an intimate relationship with him. Though Jesus prayed the prayer of the forsaken, he certainly did have an unrivaled intimacy with the Father. Good to think on further, and I need to reread that book and chapter! Thanks.

Ted M. Gossard said...

...having said that though, I also think we have to be careful as to how we judge what seems to be God's silence or absence from us. Actually God may be nearest to us when we feel otherwise. Just thinking out loud over here.

Crowm said...

It's definitely worth a second read Ted. I appreciate what you say about being careful not to judge what seems to be God's silence or absence. I agree with Foster. It's during those times that God provides an opportunity for growth (and as you say, is most near).

Thanks.
m

Anonymous said...

Brother, is it not true that when we feel the most foresaken, is the time when we are most in-tune with the will of God? After-all, this is the time I take the most time praying for God to guide me, and in return, if just listen I am reassured of his presence through it all. It was his foot prints that I kept seeing in the sand.

Crowm said...

Anon,

You said, "is it not true that when we feel the most foresaken, is the time when we are most in-tune with the will of God?" I would answer possibly. In other words, a feeling of being forsaken should not be equated with being in the will of God.

I would simply say that during those times we have an opportunity to grow. It's a good time to evaluate where we're at in our relationship with God.

You remember Job. Job definitely felt forsaken. And for a time, I think your statement above would fit. But there came a point when Job didn't sense being "most in-tune with the will of God". In fact, he cried out to God and sought to understand why everything was happening. God's will wasn't that he encounter hardship. It was about what he did with the hardship.

David, Jeremiah, and others are other examples. I hope this is somewhat understandable. Thanks for reading.