Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Read The Bible In A Year

I've chosen to read through the Bible again this year. The discipline that I've learned from this exercise in the past has been priceless. And honestly, it's something I desperately need in my life now. I've found several good plans to accomplish this exercise. However, this year I've chosen a plan proposed by Augsburg Fortress Press in the back of their New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. If you're interested in reading along, let me know. It'd be great to be on the same page. :)

I'm interested in knowing what's worked for you. 1) Have you read through the Bible in a year? If so, what's the biggest benefit? If not, why not? 2) What plan have you used? Do you continue to use the same plan every year or choose another "road map"?

What can a discipline such as reading Scripture teach us about ourselves?

1 comment:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Mike, I love this post, and I've been an avid listener of Scripture being read a majority of my Christian life. And now using The Bible Experience which my wife likes, complaining about the past reading I listened to. During that time I was using the TNIV's breakdown in the back, but going through the Bible as I recall more than once a year, just using the segments as breaking off places.

Great and even important for me to keep daily listening to Scripture, and The Bible Experience is a great, great way to do it. But nothing replaces a slow reading of Scripture, and the necessary pondering, as the Spirit may stop us in our tracks as God teaches us through his word.