Thursday, January 21, 2010

The KISS Method Still Works

The church tradition to which I belong celebrates communion every week. And most churches have elders or other leaders who pray prior to serving communion. At times, those who pray have changed their voices in a way that one would think they speak the King's English. It's as if they believe all the thees, thous, and Faaaaaather God included in their prayer signifies a closeness to God that only they enjoy. The inflection in their voice could be a legitimate concern for scaring the unchurched (or make the churched snicker). I've always found this practice to be a bit strange.

I'm asked to pray at family gatherings or other community events. Often times, the title of pastor or minister leads an organizer to invite a clergyman to pray. Please understand, I'm not offended. In fact, I consider it a great blessing to pray. But to think or assume that someone in ministry has a direct line to God or will be heard before any others is laughable. In fact, there are times when I've been asked to pray I politely ask one of my kids to pray. The purpose is two-fold. First of all, I believe if one wants to learn to pray, a good place to begin is to pray. In other words, there comes a time where we must stop talking about prayer and pray. Secondly, my hope is it teaches the more mature in attendance that the faith of a child shouldn't be minimized.

Too often, people aren't comfortable praying in a corporate setting. They feel inadequate, not sure of what to say, or intimidated by what those in earshot might think about their words. This is a huge misconception of prayer and the reason for praying.

Richard Foster begins his discussion on prayer (Prayer: Finding The Heart's True Home) with a chapter on simple prayer. According to Foster, too often we forget that God wants to hear about the details. He wants to know our struggles, our victories, and our challenges. Nothing will surprise him. And just like we desire to be approached and loved by our children, God desires the same.

Sometimes, the best way to accomplish something is the KISS method. You remember the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid! There's no need for the King's English. God's okay with simplicity. In fact, being real makes God really proud.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother, I find myself in an uncomfortable position, thinking. I have always believed in praying for the most important things in life. I pray for my family and friends health, happiness and well-being. I pray for all of the things that I can't control in my life and put those things in Gods hands. I don't pray for the things I have control of, work, finances and daily concerns. I don't bother God with the little things. As I hve said before, God helps those who help themselves. Right or wrong? Who Knows? I believe that I am guided unknowingly by his hand in all of the day-to-day matters, wheter or not I make the right decisions depends on how well I listen.

Crowm said...

Anon,
You describe your uncomfortable position as "thinking." Sometimes being uncomfortable is right where God wants us to be.

In regards to the post, I always appreciate your honesty and candor when writing here. I will say I don't think we bother God when we pray about the little things. Too often, we believe the only time to approach God is when we can't fix something. In other words, the problem is just too big for us. I think we miss huge opportunities for blessings when we don't have conversations with God about the "little stuff". He wants us to acknowledge Him in all things. And it's really no bother for the creator of the universe. We're His prized possession.

I have a friend who begins prayer, "Hi God". She means no disrespect. But she acknowledges that kind of relationship she would have with a best friend.

You bring up some valid points. But to only approach God when the problem is too big or with fear of annoying Him is a stretch. I hope this helps. Just my two cents.

As for the other, you'll notice I removed the comment. Please feel free to call. I'm always willing to talk. And I'm sorry you feel that way. Coffee? Lunch? I'm open Bro!

Anonymous said...

Brother, you are always open and truthful. Enjoyed our talk and will be praying for answers. See you Sunday.