Wednesday, January 21, 2009

God Used a Whopper!

My wife and kids left recently for a doctor's appointment several hours away. They took the opportunity to use the weekend to visit friends and have a "mini vacation", before returning home. Needless to say, I had some time on my hands.

At one point during the weekend, I went to a fast-food restaurant where I'd planned to eat and read. Upon receiving my meal, I found a seat and opened my book. A gentleman from the next booth caught my attention and politely asked, "Excuse me. Can I ask what book you're reading?" He went on to say he had seen several people reading the same book in the last week and "didn't want to miss out."

The book I was reading was Sex God by Rob Bell. I began to explain to the guy that it probably wasn't about what he thought. I also told him how I didn't agree with everything in the book. But it really made me think. As most conversations with men, our conversation led to what we did for a living. He, a landscaper. Me, a pastor.

My new friend Julian has the opportunity to speak from time to time at a small church. He told me how the church had gone through some financial struggle before finally splitting. As always, the church split was hurtful. I encouraged him as much as I could. I gave him the book and promised to pray for him.

He said he would pray for the church I pastor as well. After his departure, I thought of how grateful I was for God-appointed times with others. This guy needed some encouragement. Because I was alone for the weekend, I could use some as well. There was no burning bush. I didn't hear any angels singing. And we weren't near a well in Sychar. However, God was there. He used a fast-food place to allow two believers to visit, encourage one another, and pass the peace. God is good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is nice to be able to be shown from time to time. well, especially when it is such a positive and comfortable human interaction.

Crowm said...

Right Nancy. And I'm more amazed each time I see God use everyday interactions to understand a bit more of His love.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Amen, Mike. It's great when we have that sense that the Lord was (or, is) present. Great to hear of that mutually encouraging time in the Lord.