Friday, January 2, 2009

I Resolve To...

As you know, this is the time of year that major decisions are made in people's lives - major in that people don't have to be convinced to dream big.

I resolve to lose 100 pounds ... by Sunday. I made the resolution to quit smoking six packs a day. I'm going cold turkey. I'm not going to go back for thirds this year. I resolve to spend 18 hours with my family each day.

And then there's more realistic goals.

I am going to be conscience about my diet. I resolve to exercise more this year. I want to be a better Father and a better husband.

You get the idea. The problem with the previous list is the goals are SO BIG that they're unrealistic. And because we're a society of "quick fixes", we want things today. We're not willing to wait for something better. And when our goals aren't realized right away, we become discouraged and often times cynical.

In my opinion, the cynicism then leads to mediocrity. How many times do we hear people that don't make goals simply because they can't keep them? What a sorry excuse!

I've encouraged our people at FCC to set some goals this year. And because I'm most concerned with their spiritual well-being, I'm especially concerned about them setting spiritual goals. In other words, the point I want to be next year in my spiritual journey is ahead of where I am now.

The challenge that all mankind faces is a lack of goals - complacency or apathy. And that's exactly where Satan wants us to be. He would like nothing less than for us to be apathetic in regards to our spiritual nourishment. Sadly, my experience has been that often times we appease him.

So how about it, will 2009 be the best year of your life? Will you be intentional about your goals for your spiritual life? Or will you fall in with the rest of the crowd and just survive?

5 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

I like the way you bring it down to principles. I think from that people can begin to understand over time the concrete ways they'll need to work that out. But life is messy, so flexibility is key.

Of course on spiritual growth matters that's a bit different. One of the key issues people seem to face, and one which I faced, is breaking free from things that bind us: the fear of death, anxiety over finances, lust, etc. At our church over and over, regardless of the message our pastors Jack and Sharon seem to be pressed by the Lord back in that direction for us, Sharon told me. So it's interesting.

But to mediocrity. I guess I've just seen God in Christ as Savior in an ongoing way, and God has made it known to me that I need a savior ongoing. So from that I grew in 2008, and will hopefully keep doing so in 2009. (more to it than that for me, but that is definitely a significant and major factor.)

Anonymous said...

i am thinking that sometimes people do not set goals because they think that God will do the leading. and of course God will lead us by the Holy Spirit, but, we have to set the goal each day to listen and to follow.

now, i need to lose weight and i have decided that now is a good time to start.
do i just quit eating? i don't think so! is God going to do it for me...well, He could, but, i think that most probably i will have to make some daily goals to watch what i am eating and to get some exercise. and like you say, it will not happen in a short ammount of time, it will actually take every day, for many many days.

an ongoing commitment of daily goal making and keeping.

just like life in the Lord, an ongoing commitment of daily making my goal to believe, listen, and follow in the Holy Spirit.

there was a time when my goal was to get out of bed and to take a bath.

we all can think about making some daily goals, in Love, that are good for us and those around us.

and you are right about needing to take small steps in the process.

each day is a small step. take one step and one day at a time.

it is so nice that God has made days and nights. kind of gives us those natural steps in time.

Crowm said...

PTL for breaking free from bondage Ted! I'm with you on keeping Christ first and foremost in our lives. As you put it so well, salvation is not only future, but it's a daily recognition of restoration through Christ. I'll pray for you this year and would covet your prayers.

Crowm said...

Ah, Nancy. I like the flavor of your post. It sounds much like discipline - something I really need.

Anonymous said...

it is something i am beginning to understand, but, do not have a handle on at all. it seems to be one thing to understand it in my mind and another to decide to do certain things and get up and to do them. goals are an interesting thing...and so is discipline. i think that i have a hazy understanding between what i want and what God wants for me and the reasons and the attitude i have in living it all out. i guess that is where the relationship with God and following the Holy Spirit is the key.