Thursday, January 29, 2009

Peace



Peace is something that seems to be less common than in previous days. Each one of us have trouble from time to time. Pastoring a church will make one humble. I hear problems that many will never know. I pray I will be wise enough to know when to offer advice and when to refer.

I have friends that are having a tough time experiencing peace. The challenges they're facing have caused some tears, late nights, and undue stress. These people are believers. They're faithful. They've specifically inquired of what they are supposed to learn from these latest challenges.

Scripture is clear that challenging times are opportunities for us to be better people because of them (James 1:2-12). When the challenges seem insurmountable, it's imperative to recognize the peace only Christ can give.

Mother Teresa is quoted as saying, "Let us thank God for His gift of peace that reminds us that we have been created to live that peace, and that Jesus became man in all things like us except in sin, and He proclaimed very clearly that He had come to give the good news. The news was peace to all men of goodwill and this is something that we all want - peace of heart."

I say, "Amen!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have often wondered what it is like to be a pastor-preacher. i have tried to put myself in that place in my mind to try to understand what it would be like. i wonder if pastors ever get the chance to put themselves in the place of the congregation.

i really do not think that they get the chance to be in a place that is somtimes needed for them to be taken in and served or supported. i really do not know this, but, i do wonder about it.

i do know, however, that there are politics within each group that should not be there, and that the preacher can suffer because of it. and that is not good for anyone. but, it is what it is.

has any minister ever written about this? are there any books about modern day pastors and what they face?


the people that you speak of, i hope that there are some brothers and sisters that can come beside them to continually point them to Jesus while they are walking through this time.

Ted M. Gossard said...

I need to take the time today to write Blogger or Google and complain about my links on other's blogs due to my side link. Or maybe I'll just have to remove my sidelink.

But your words here on peace are so good and so true. And I like the idea that we are to live out that peace in Jesus. So very true. A good thought to meditate on.

Crowm said...

Hey Nancy,
Thanks for your thoughts. I've been blessed to be a part of leadership in the local church as a layperson and now as a full-time pastor. I can tell you because of God's blessing, I'm at least aware of each group.

After becoming a minister, things have obviously changed. God has opened my eyes to how ministers and families live in the "glass houses." There are many other differences as well (too many to mention here). But I'm glad God gave my family and I the opportunity.

I'm not aware of any books that deal with the subject. Honestly, I see a pastor's role and a layman's role as being one of the same thing (leading others to Christ). I'm just blessed enough to get paid for what I love doing.

Thanks for the kind thoughts for my friends. The prayer is also appreciated.

Crowm said...

Ted,

I'm not aware of the problem with Blogger/Google you speak of. I hope you find a solution soon.

The peace of Christ. Ah, yes! That's true peace. I'm still working on it Bro. Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I got to thinking about this and I think the only why to enjoy peace, the state of tranquility, quite, is through Christ! Were coninually faced with disturbance, insecurity even emotions. In Christ we find harmony, forgiveness and love. It all adds up to peace. Even for just a moment, it wonderful and refreshhing.

So says Mike

Crowm said...

Amen and Amen Anon/Mike!