Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Letter of Apology

Dear Confused,

You have likely seen my "name changes" over the last few days. As you know, when posting a comment, one is required to have some sort of moniker. "Mike" was fine for me - that is, until I saw how many other Mikes there were. I then changed my name to "The Other Mike." Before I was berated by friends in the blogosphere about how corny the new name was, I changed it to "The Crow."

Yeah! That was it. It was an old nickname. The blog is As The Crow Flies. Everything seemed to fit. And then I remembered a dark film called The Crow from the 90s. I've never seen the movie but the photos allude to a "darkness." Is that really what I want my friends to think when they see The Crow respond to their blog? I think not. I've settled on "crowm". Speak now or forever hold your peace. Do you know of a problem with crowm?

Throughout Scripture, a child's name alluded to her/his destiny. The name "Michael" means "one who is like God." Joshua means "a savior of his people." The followers of Jesus were called "Christians" in Antioch - Christian meaning one who is like Christ.

My wife and I thought for several months about our son's name. We settled on Christian. We want him to know what his name means and how important it was for us to give him that name.

So what's the big deal? Does a name "make" or "break" a person? What's in a name?

Sincerely,
Mike, The Crow, crowm

P.S. I apologize to those of you who have felt like I've had some sort of identity crisis. Hopefully, it's over now.

6 comments:

Mike Crow said...

I know that a name is important and that it is tough when there are so many with the same name. In elementary school I ran into the same problem. I even tried to go by my middle name "David" also a strong bibical name. Guess what there are a lot of Davids as well.

You may or may not realize that there were a lot of Ghandi s and alot of Martins as well. Be proud of your name and help the name to stand for something.

Maybe you can use Michael instead of Mike - there are a lot of Mike Crows in the world. We just have to make sure that we reflect our father in the process of having the light shine on us and reflect the goodness it represents.

Hope this finds you well.
From a brother in Christ.
Mike Crow
www.mikecrow.com

Crowm said...

Hey Mike Crow!

- Cool name. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really not having an identity crisis as the blog would indicate - just a bit of weird humor, I guess.

Blessings,
Mike

preacherman said...

Wow.
I couldn't imagine there being another preacherman! :-)
But to Mike Crows and on a blog and the same blog. Now that is too cool! :-)

Cheryl Russell said...

I thought you just commented with a different name all the time, it didn't bother me. ;)

Names and titles do catch people's attention, but it's the person and their character that keeps them around.

Anonymous said...

I have grown sort of accustom to Parson. Parson Crow is ok but you shouldn't use PC because, well, we know that wouldn't be correct? I know, this sounds athletic, Mike, the Parson, Crow. Say it like a loud speaker. Bold huh! Miiike theeee Paaarson, Crooooooow!

See you next week.

Crowm said...

Funny funny there anon! If Parson is what you choose to call me then Parson it shall be. Just don't forget to call. We really need a place to stay.

Love you too Bro!
Mike