Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Place To Serve (Relationship #11)

"What place represents holiness in your life? What place exists that would cause you to say no to a dream job?" (Sweet, 199)

Sweet turns his attention from relationships with people in previous chapters to the place of service - a place he calls Jerusalem. According to Sweet, not only is it important to surround yourself with people who lead you to your destiny, it's also important to recognize the place to which God has called you. In other words, the particular bush from which God called Moses was his Jerusalem. Later it was Egypt and finally in the desert leading the Israelites.

When I was in Bible College, I recall a professor asking, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" One after another said they saw themselves in a major ministry (large numbers) because that's the situation from which they came. The professor then turned his attention to the old man (I was ten years senior most classmates.) and awaited my response. "I see myself preaching in a small town church where many people don't consider going to minister. The church isn't small in mentality but only small on the map. It's not going to be the next mega-church. But those people need Christ as well".

My Jerusalem would be the small church. My "holy place" is where I can spend time with disciples of Christ and encourage them to grow in Christ. It's also where I'm challenged to be the person Christ intends me to be.

It's important to note not everyone appreciates your Jerusalem. Many of my friends can't understand why would someone go to a place with no trees, no water, hot summers, too many tumbleweeds, etc. But for some of us, that's what Jerusalem looks like. It's not any better or worse than other Jerusalems. God calls some to mountains and others to flat land. He calls some to retail jobs, some to public service, and others to ventures with minimal contact with others.

What's your Jerusalem?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is often interesting that many of us percieve our own destiny? We struggle against it and wonder what the problem is? The problem is, of course, God's call.

I have never thouht about the idea of a "holy place" but I can say that I believe that have been called to a couple....not always understanding that I was called. As you know Jackie and I believe we were brought to Hutto.

How about corn husks and cotton dust? Hot and Dry but not tumble weeds.

So says Mike

Crowm said...

Hey, glad to hear from ya Anon/Mike! I agree when something is wrong it's never God. It's my failure to sense God's call.

I think what Sweet means by "holy place" is that place where God has you and is using you for His glory. The only reason they're holy is that God is there.

Call sometime when you're not so busy. Blessings Bro!