Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Next Challenge

I'm between blogging on books. Hopefully, McKnight's The Blue Parakeet will arrive soon and I can weigh in. For the time being, I've finally (after much prompting) picked up The Shack and will post a few times about the work.

The next challenge is teaching a small group through the book of Romans. I've been told many times, "If you want everyone to know what you believe, teach Romans. There will be no doubt." I've done this a few times and have been encouraged each and every time. My faith has become stronger and I pray others have grown closer to Christ as well.

So what about it? Some of you have actually studied the letter with me. What's your take? For those of you preparing, what's the apprehension? For the teachers/preachers in the blogosphere, what's your advice?

3 comments:

Cheryl Russell said...

My husband and I read The Shack together and have had many hours of lively discussion since. It is a good read. Based on your comments on Kinney's blog (regarding suffering, evil), I think you will enjoy it.

I have enjoyed what I have read of your blog so far!

Crowm said...

Thanks so much for the kind words and the encouragement Cheryl.

Blessings,
Mike

Ted M. Gossard said...

Mike,
Yes, Romans is a great book to work through.

I recently read most of The Shack myself. I admit I didn't finish it, though not far to go. I skipped to the end. Hardly encouraging, but because it's so hot, I think it's a must read. And I think it does bring in some helpful thoughts along with some problems. Of course the writer is not a theologian. But I think it can be a revolutionary read for many, in a helpful way. I probably need to give it another try, as I was probably too busy assessing it to really let it do what it wanted to, and then assess it afterwards. But just my take.

I look forward to your thoughts on it.